Decades of experience, hands on personalized service, a dynamic management team, industry leadership, community involvement, and abundant expertise establish a granite foundation for our strategic partners, ensuring a safe and secure future.
For close to one hundred years, ATCO has developed, managed and owned a diverse real estate portfolio, primarily in and around New York City, and provided a range of services to other real estate owners. ATCO is a family owned and operated real estate operating company with an investment focus on retail, office, and mixed-use properties in leading Metropolitan Statistical Areas across the United States.
ATCO's Competitive Advantage
- Real estate operating company with fiduciary and true partner mindset
- Strong reputation built on transparency, proactive communication and alignment of interests
- Longstanding history and seasoned executive team. Family owned and operated since 1922
- Vertically integrated platform with financial expertise and engineering knowhow
- Disciplined and consistent investment committee process
- Relationship driven origination and systematic underwriting process
- Entrepreneurial mindset with institutional quality procedures and reporting
- Sustainable practices and active community involvement
"WE TAKE THE LEGACY OF OUR FOUNDERS VERY SERIOUSLY. OUR LONG-TERM OUTLOOK HAS HELPED US DEVELOP A 360-DEGREE PERSPECTIVE ON REAL ESTATE ACQUISITION, OWNERSHIP, AND OPERATION"
- KATE HEMMERDINGER-GOODMAN, CO-PRESIDENT
ATCO’s history traces back to 1922, when Henry Hemmerdinger purchased a mill and farm in central Queens to accommodate his expanding rag-business. From 22 acres of undeveloped land, factories and warehouses sprouted, becoming home to 5,000 workers and more than 60 businesses. The Hemmerdinger family’s fate as a leader in real estate and property management was sealed. Monroe Hemmerdinger sold his father’s waste business, and held onto the land as he transitioned to
developing commercial real estate in Manhattan and nationwide. His son and current ATCO Chairman, Dale, added six service divisions to the company’s ownership role. Today, a new generation of Hemmerdingers, Damon and Kate, have transformed ATCO into an investment manager; capitalizing on its nearly 100 years of property and asset management experience to provide highly differentiated experiences to its clients and attractive returns to its partners.